Friday, September 1, 2017

We're Heading to Michigan!

Meet Tiffaney Caldwell at Hereby Crowned...
My name is Tiffaney Caldwell and I am the owner & artist of Hereby Crowned, a historically inspired jewelry company. My work history is primarily in Information Technology and I have a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology. I am from the city of Detroit and have been forever infatuated with this city’s amazing architecture and wealth of history. From the latter part of the 19th century to the 1920s, the city of Detroit really is a time capsule for Art Nouveau & ArtDeco art. There are hidden gardens and parts of my city that are just too beautiful for words. Detroit is a pod of inspiration for artists of every imaginable medium. I play video games and tabletop/board games with my daughter & husband to decompress and I’m a huge proponent for physical fitness and the “long walk”. I feel that the mind/body/spirit connection is most in sync when I am purposely moving my body. It took me a while to reconcile that I am at my all-around best when I am doing what I love which for me is creating.

I began creating jewelry as a hobby nearly 20 years ago and opened Hereby Crowned on Etsy in late 2012. This will be my very first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show!
What inspires me.. History, the Natural World, and the human condition are my Trinity of Inspiration. Of particular interest to me is human history, dating back to the earliest days of the Roman Empire. I seek to grasp the social, political, and religious events of a particular period in time and how these factors influenced the art, fashion, & architecture that was born of that era. The Art Nouveau era (from roughly 1890 to 1910) is one of my favorite time periods because this short period of 20 years was an act of artistic rebellion against the Industrial Revolution. Artists strove to show that human creation was far better than anything a machine could create. This is why we see so much art from that period infused with a heavy focus on plants, air, & emotion. With the current technology leaning heavily into automation, we are witnessing another new trend in jewelry in which rough, natural stones like quartz crystal are front and center. The psychology behind this trend seems to indicate that we are collectively gravitating toward organic matter that has only been mildly touched by mankind. I like to think of the current era of jewelry design as Mod-Industrial Nouveau. I love to be outdoors. The colors and textures outside are forever changing and as humans, we are forever adapting our moods, clothing, & activities to the climate outside. I find this adaptation entertaining and very inspiring.

I grew up with a rather limited access to resources so, I used to “make” what I wanted or revise vintage clothing into something “cool” & unique. Creating jewelry was just a part of creating an outfit and owning a unique expression. I did this for years for fun & relaxation before I ever gave thought to making it into a business.
How I got into my talent.. I don’t really think of what I do as a talent. I began creating jewelry after I graduated from university as a way to process my life and before long, I had this enormous inventory of pieces. Friends and family encouraged me to “put it out there” and my Etsy shop was born. While experience has provided me with an edge in specific aspects of jewelry design, I am always in student mode. In fact, I regularly take classes to learn more about specific aspects of jewelry design. Being a self-taught jewelry artist, there are always holes in my knowledge base.
How my creative process works.. I almost always choose a time period first. I will read fiction or poetry that was written during that era, listen to music that is affiliated with it, and finally, I will look at images within my library or on one of my Pinterest boards. I skip around from ancient Egypt to Medieval Europe to the Jazz Age of the 1920s & 30s. I try to do everything possible to saturate my brain with what was going on in the world at a specific period in our history. Then, I either sketch out a design or I will just choose a color or texture. I build my design out from there.

My five year goal.. Ultimately, I would like to get more involved in local theatre and historic films. I am also really excited to see so many brides choosing to either incorporate vintage themes for their weddings or to go with a gown that is a color other than white. Globally, women are beginning to really embrace the amount of creativity that is available to them for their wedding day. I would love to make Hereby Crowned available to them for pieces of jewelry that are bold yet practical enough to wear “after” the big day has passed.

     I like to say that my message behind my work is: Life is Short. Wear your smile, Wear your pearls, Wear Boldly.


Meet Meghan MacFarland...
I was born in Detroit and grew up in Clinton Township. I studied metalsmithing at Wayne State University. I now live in St Clair Shores with my fiancé and our 3 cats!


I have been doing art fairs for 13 years and this will be  my first Avant-Garde show!

The thing that inspires me the most would be the patterns and colors that I see in nature. My dad was a construction worker and my mom worked at a craft store.  So growing up we were always crafting and creating. In college I started working in a jewelry store and taking art classes in college and I was hooked.
 My creative process is relatively simple. I start with sketching and doodling.  Then I carve my pieces in wood or construct them out of silver. My process is always evolving so I hope to see completely new pieces and processes each year. I like to make creative, wearable pieces for my customers to enjoy!


Meet Kyla Hendricks from KoutureDesigns...
I'm a creative soul all around!  I sew fashion apparel, home decor, craft jewelry, bake, cook, garden, and design graphics for clothing, fabric, and multi-media use. I've been sewing since the age of 11, so that means that I have been  sewing for over 30 years!  My first item crafted on a sewing machine was a faux fur coat for my Barbie doll!  When I look at those tiny armholes(I still have the coat), I wonder how I had the patience for that?!  Must have been a sign!

This is my first show with Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show, so I'm excited!
What inspires me.. I can be inspired by artwork, nature, a season, or a certain time period. I was lucky enough to know my Great-Grandmother who got me interested in sewing by hand first. Eventually, I moved on to sewing and embroidery machines.  She was an exceptional quilter who sewed clothing, baked and made her own soap!

I discovered my talent through my artwork.  With my first 64 set of Crayola crayons, I started winning drawing contests at a young age. My creative process begins with a feeling that I try to evoke in the creation.  If I'm feeling a "blah" vibe, I'm going to work with some gray, neutral, mono-tone colors.  If I feel enlightened, empowered, I'll work more light and bright fabrics. 

My five year goal.. In 5 years, it is my hopes to still be sewing and expanded into a brand.  Some of my jewelry has been published in Stringing Magazine(which is a magazine with detailed instructions on creating simple jewelry designs), so I enjoy doing tutorials and would like to expand into that as well.

The message behind my work.. If I had to say what my message is behind my work it would be...Be your true self and don't change for anyone!  Life is too short for falsehoods!


Meet Yoshie Kato from Yoko Jewelry...
I'm originally from Japan. I love fashion and craft since I was a little girl. I studied fashion in college in Japan. Now Jewelry making has been my passion. I'm enjoying wire working with gems and metal smith work on some designs. All of my pieces are made by hand with love. I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I did while making them! This will be my first Avant-Garde Show!

I started making jewelry as a hobby first. I was enjoying making gifts for my friends and family. I took some classes to learn how to make bead jewelry and have been learning lost wax and metal smith techniques.  I started selling my pieces about 9 years ago. In that same time, I started offering bead jewelry making classes.
The thing that inspires me to create is all of the stones and their different hues, shapes, and  patterns. No two natural stones are the same and they inspire me a lot. I design for each stone. That's what I love about gems.

I love that you can always create something original with a crafting hobby. That's fascinating to me. I love to see one little gem or piece of metal turn into beautiful jewelry that can brighten your day!

How I got into my business.. When I started wearing my own handmade jewelry my friend gave me a big compliment and gave me my first order! I enjoyed deciding the design for her and she loved it. One pair of earrings are not just only earrings..they are something that makes somebody happy!  I thought to myself, I want to make this my job. I discovered my talent by my friend. 
My creative process, for metal jewelry, would be that I cut the original shape from a metal sheet or make a wax model to cast. Then I solder the parts together and polish it to a finish. It sounds simple but is actually a very tricky process...I have to be calm and focus on it!

Right now, I'm working on this business all by myself. I make jewelry and run my Etsy shop (https://www.etsy.com/shop/yokojewelry)but I need to take more photos and edit them. Then write descriptions, share on SNS... I hope my business will be big enough in 5 years to have partners who can work with me!

The message behind my work.. I love simple and feminine design what you can enjoy daily also match with any wardrobe. Jewelry itself could be beautiful but jewelry should be more beautiful when someone wears it. And I want to create jewelry which makes someone smile and feels wonderful. It might made her day. Jewelry can be your good luck charm. I want to make everybody happy with my jewelry.


Meet Sarah Davis from Davis Delights...
My name is Sarah, I have my Masters degree in Exercise Science and I am currently working as a Clinical Exercise Physiologist full time at a cardiology office; which I absolutely love. I have a rescue ​dog named Buddy who is both very energetic​ (loves tennis balls) ​and very serious about his sleep. ​ I love to read and go on walks. ​I have a big heart and love helping others.

I have been making candles for about 2 years. I mainly make candles, but I have also been making mason jar fairy lanterns as well and attempting to make drinking glasses out of wine bottles. This will be my first Avant-Garde Art & Crafts Show and I'm very excited to be a part of it.
What inspires me to create would probably be people in general. The very nature of who I am is to help people in any way that I can. I know, with myself, sometimes all I need is to light a candle​, whether it is a warm vanilla, a relaxing lavender, or a refreshing citrus, and my mood changes. I think a lot of people are like that and if I can help add anything positive to someone's day, it's pretty great.

How I got into my business.. I absolutely love candles and all things that just smell pretty. One day I saw a candle making kit and thought I would try doing it myself. Ever since then I have been making my own candles. Now I don't have to go to the store and hope that they have my favorite scent, I can just make my own :) 
My creative process.. I don't really have a creative process. As much as I love making candles for the scents, I also find making​ candles very relaxing after a long week of work. It is a time that I can play my favorite music, de-stress and just do something that I love to do.

My five year goal.. In 5 years from now, I still see myself doing this as a hobby. I think I will always makes candles even if it is just for myself and my family.​



2017 Detroit Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, September 30, 2017
 10:00am-5:00pm
William Costick Activities Center
28600 Eleven Mile Rd
Farmington Hills, MI 48336
For more information, contact Amanda Look, Event Coordinator at amanda@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment